STARBASE Wisconsin is an interactive academic outreach program that helps youth increase their knowledge in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM). Fifth grade students in Milwaukee public, choice, and charter schools are taken on a five-week, 25 hour odyssey into the exciting world of the sciences through hands-on activities and experiments, technology projects, and interaction with military and civilian professionals with careers in STEM fields. These exciting activities include:
- Building Molecular Models
- Engineering Design
- Computer-Aided Design
- Model Rocketry
- STEM Career Exploration
The STARBASE curriculum and activities are correlated to National Science Education Standards (NSES) and National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) Expectations. The curriculum covers:
- Physics and Chemistry:Newton’s Three Laws of Motion, Rocketry, Fluid Mechanics, Aerodynamics, and Building Blocks of Matter (4.35 hours)
- Technology:Electricity and Robotics (3.40 hours)
- Energy:States of Matter and Physical/Chemical Change 3.75 hours
- Engineering:Engineering Design Process and 3-D Computer-Aided Design with 3-D printers (4.25 hours)
- Mathematics Operations and Applications:Measurement, Graphing, and Data Analysis (3.5 hours)
- STEM Careers:Career Exploration and Personal Investigations (2.5 hours)
US Department Of Defense Partnership
STARBASE Wisconsin is proudly sponsored by the Wisconsin Air National Guard, with funding from the U.S. Department of Defense. The Department of Defense, as the largest employer of both civilian and military scientists, is a significant stakeholder in the preparation of America’s greatest economic and intellectual resource—it’s workforce. The STARBASE programs around the country (59 STARBASE sites.) were established to raise the interest and improve the knowledge and skill of students is STEM, and to provide for a highly educated and skilled American workforce that can meet the advanced technological needs of our nation. By leveraging community and DoD resources, this program is offered free of charge to Milwaukee schools. STARBASE is an investment in the education of tomorrow’s innovators with the goal of ensuring a stronger future for us all.
In 2018, the DoD STARBASE celebrated its national 25th anniversary. View the timeline for some program highlights. STARBASE Wisconsin is featured after 2012.