The purpose of the Wisconsin National Guard Retiree Council is to assist the Adjutant General in maintaining a strong National Guard by providing a channel for the interaction between active members, retired members and surviving spouses; to provide a focal point for organizations with concerns of the retired community and the AG's office, and to offer assistance to Army and Air National Guard units in development and maintaining rapport with their local communities.
The Retiree Council, within resources available and in accordance with the regulations and traditions of the Wisconsin National Guard, and the policies of the Adjutant General, assists in maintaining a strong Wisconsin National Guard by:
- Supporting legislation pertaining to the Wisconsin National Guard to include liaison with local, state, and national elected and appointed officials.
- Support Retiree Activities Offices (RAO) to provide a common source of information for retirees of all branches of service, in accordance with existing regulations.
- Sponsor a Retiree Appreciation Day (RAD) periodically, in the odd numbered years, to educate the retired community on their benefits and responsibilities, and provide a forum for retirees to voice their concerns.
- Encouraging and promoting membership and support of the Wisconsin National Guard Association (WINGA), and the Wisconsin National Guard Enlisted Association (WNGEA) at the state and national levels.
The Retiree Council currently consists of retired members of the Army and Air National Guard appointed annually by the Adjutant General to conduct scheduled meetings for the purpose of implementing plans to accomplish the above objectives. Additionally, there are honorary members who have served with distinction in the past on the Retiree Council and who wish to continue to be an asset to the council by serving in an advisory capacity.
Membership in the Retiree Council is as follows:
- President (Army or Air, retired officer or NCO)
- Vice President
- An Army National Guard representative appointed by the commander from each major command authorized in the Wisconsin Army National Guard.
- An Air National Guard representative appointed by the Wing or Installation commander, from the Milwaukee, Madison and Volk Field areas.
- A representative from both the WINGA and the WNGEA who have been selected to represent their respective retired memberships (either Army or Air).
- One member appointed to represent each Retiree Activities Office. (Army or Air)
- One member appointed to represent the Wisconsin Committee for Employer Support for the Guard and Reserve (Army or Air).
- The President shall have authority to appoint a Secretary, Treasurer, and a Public Affairs representative, to be appointed to the Council for the period of the President's term only. Such members can be ex officio members.
- Honorary members (non-voting) as appointed on orders based upon their level of interest and willingness to actively support the Wisconsin National Guard and Retiree Council activities.
The President is appointed by the Adjutant General for a term of two years, and may be reappointed for two additional terms.
The Retiree Council meets two times each year, and three times in the year there is a Retiree Appreciation Day (RAD). The Executive Committee, consisting of the President, Past President, Secretary, and Treasurer, and meets prior to the main Retiree Council meeting. Other council members may be invited to attend if there is a need for them to attend.
Anyone wishing to contact the Retiree Activities Offices, or Retiree Council can do so at the following address:
The Retiree Council is most supportive of the Retiree Activities Offices (RAO's) that provide extensive resources to assist military retirees with access to information. You are directed to the RAO office listed below for the office closest to your home.
Madison: Joint Force Headquarters Wisconsin
2400 Wright Street, Room 160, Madison, WI 53704-2572
(608) 242-3115, or (800) 335-5147 ext. 3115
Office hours: Tues & Thur from 0730-1130 hours. Except holidays
Milwaukee: 128th ARW Headquarters / Retirees Office
1835 E. Grange Ave. Building 512, Room 14, Milwaukee, WI 53207-6132
Office hours: Tues & Wed from 1000-1400 hours. Except holidays
Madison: Wisconsin National Guard Retiree Council
c/o The Adjutant General Joint Forces Headquarters,
Wisconsin 2400 Wright Street
Madison, WI 53704-2572