(MADISON) – Many people will be traveling this holiday weekend to attend Memorial Day events and to spend time with family and friends. Whether you are traveling or staying home, ReadyWisconsin has these tips to help keep you and your family safe.
- If traveling the highways, make sure your car is in shape to make the trip. Having a first-aid kit, bottled water and some energy bars is a good idea in case you get stranded. A car adaptor for your cell phone is also a good idea in case you need to call for help.
- Schedule your road trip at times to help avoid the holiday travel congestion. If possible, leave before rush hour traffic Friday and travel home Monday before 4 p.m. or after 10 p.m.
- Check www.511wi.gov or call 511 for the latest traffic and road information on your route.
- Never leave people or pets inside a parked car. Temperatures can climb to dangerous levels even on a cloudy day.
- If you are planning on barbequing, never leave the grill unattended and have a fire extinguisher available.