CHICAGO – Through the Pre-Disaster Mitigation grant program (PDM), the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has released $1,626,338 to the village of Fox Point, Wisconsin for a resilient infrastructure project to protect the Lake Michigan shoreline from erosion. This erosion control project includes construction of a rock revetment designed to protect the vulnerable shorelines by counteracting wave action of Lake Michigan. Installation of the revetment will protect the village’s sanitary and storm sewer infrastructure and utilities from damage caused by erosion. The project will also increase protective measures to the shoreline roadway, Beach Drive, which provides access to 48 residential homes. Upon completion, this project will enhance the resiliency of the community by minimizing erosion in the area.
“Hazard Mitigation Assistance grant programs enable communities to implement critical mitigation measures to reduce or eliminate the risk of loss of life and property,” said Kevin M. Sligh, acting regional administrator, FEMA Region 5. “This project will provide protective measures to critical infrastructure in Fox Point and increase resilience along the Lake Michigan shoreline.”
“Projects such as this are an essential step in helping to guard infrastructure against further damage and ensuring residents have safe access to their homes,” said Greg Engle, Wisconsin Emergency Management acting administrator. “We are grateful to FEMA for their assistance with helping this valuable project move forward.”
For this project, FEMA will pay 75 percent of the $2,168,538 eligible project cost. The remaining 25 percent of the funds will be provided by the Village of Fox Point. The PDM grant program provides grants to state, tribal and local governments to implement long-term hazard mitigation measures. This is one of the last projects funded by the PDM grant program, since the PDM program was replaced by the Building Resilient Infrastructure and Communities (BRIC) grant program in 2020. To learn more about BRIC and FEMA’s other Hazard Mitigation Assistance programs, visit www.fema.gov/grants/mitigation.
FEMA's mission is helping people before, during, and after disasters.
A PDF copy of this release from FEMA is available here.