The Retiree Activities Office (RAO) is located in the Office of The Adjutant General at 2400 Wright Street, Room 160, Madison, WI 53704. The office is open Tuesdays and Thursdays, 0730-1130, except on holidays.
Our phone number is (608) 242-3115, our toll free number is 1-800-335-5147, ext 3115; DSN number is 724-3115. If you call at a time when the office is closed, please leave a message on our voice mail. Please be sure to leave your name and phone number. Our e-mail address is:
The RAO mission is to act as an interface between the active duty and retired communities, keep retirees and widows of retirees (all ranks and services) informed on matters related to their military status, provide appropriate information and services as necessary including TRICARE, Military ID Cards, Survivor Benefits, Death Reporting and much more. The RAO also maintains a list of toll-free phone numbers, Web sites and e-mail addresses for additional information.
Use the links below to find more information:
ID CARDMILITARY/RETIREE SUPPORT ORGANIZATIONS & ONLINE NEWSRAO RETIREE NEWSLETTERS
REPORTING DEATH OF SERVICE MEMBER/SPOUSERETIREE INFORMATION & RESOURCES
SURVIVOR ASSISTANCETRAVEL & LODGINGTRICARE - MEDICARE - VA INFO
USEFUL PHONE NUMBERSWI COUNTY VETERANS SERVICE OFFICEWI NG RETIREE COUNCIL
UPCOMING RETIREE EVENTS
- National Military Support Coalition
- American Legion
- Disabled American Veterans (DAV)
- Wisconsin National Guard Officers Association (WINGA)
- Wisconsin National Guard Enlisted Association (WNGEA)
- Army Echoes - Retiree Newsletter
- Air Force Afterburner - Retiree Newsletter
- Navy Shift Colors - Retiree Newsletter
- Marine MCCS - Retiree Newsletter
- MILITARY PAY DFAS Retiree Newsletter
Wisconsin Department of Military Affairs
- RAO Newsletter - #2017-2 - New Medicare Cards are on the Way
- RAO Newsletter - #2017-1 - TRICARE Dental Program includes “gray area” retirees
- RAO Newsletter - #2016-6 - TRICARE Expands Coverage for Treatment of Congestive Heart Failure
- RAO Newsletter - #2016-5 - Choice of TRICARE Retail Pharmacies Changes Dec. 1, 2016
- RAO Newsletter - #2016-4 - Medicare and TRICARE: How to keep your TRICARE Coverage
- RAO Newsletter - #2016-3 - Former Spouse SBPP Coverage Open Season. 1 July 2016
- RAO Newsletter - #2016-2 - Tricare Updated Prescription Costs. Effective: 1 February 2016
- RAO Newsletter - #2015-5 - TRICARE Benefit Changes October 1
- RAO Newsletter - #2015-1 - January 27, 2015 - Health Care Coverage and the ACA: Just Check the Box
Receiving military retired or annuitant pay
- Air Force, Army, Marine, Navy
www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/survivors/Retiree-death.html OR CALL Defense Finance Accounting System (DFAS) 800-321-1080
- Coast Guard
Coast Guard Personnel Center 800-772-8724
Reserve Gray Area Retirees/Spouse
- Air Force: Air Reservce Personnel Center (ARPC) 800-525-0102
- Army: Army Human Resources Command (AHRC) 888-276-9472
- Marine: Marine Personnel Center 800-847-1597
- Navy: Navy Personnel Center 866-827-5672
- Coast Guard: Coast Guard Personnel Center 800-772-8724
* Please report any broken or bad links you may find to the RAO
- Air Force
- Air Force Personnel Center (AFPC)
- Air Reserve Personnel Center (ARPC)
- Air National Guard
- Wisconsin Air National Guard Retirement Information Handbook (pdf)
- Army Retirement Services
- Army National Guard
- Fort McCoy
- Army National Guard and Reserve Retirement Information Handbook (pdf)
Department of Defense
- Department of Defense (DOD)
- Defense Eligibility & Enrollment System (DEERS)
- Defense Finance & Accounting Service (DFAS)
- ID Cards (Military) Site Locator
- National Archives and Records Center - Veterans Records
- My Pay (DFAS)Office of Personnel Management (OPM)
- Army Survivors Assistance
- Air Force Survivors Assistance
- Navy - Marine Survivors Assistance
- Coast Guard Survivors Assistance
- Military Veterans Survivor Information
- Wisconsin Veterans Survivor Information
- Military Funeral Honors
Morale, Welfare & Recreation Sites (MWR)
- Bellows Air Force Station (Waimanalo Bay, Hawaii)
- Fort Sam Houston Recreation Area (Canyon Lake, Texas)
- Killauea Military Camp (Big Island Hawaii)
- Hale Koa Hotel (Honolulu, Hawaii)
- Rocky Mountain Blue (Keystone Resort, Colorado)
- Dragon Hill Lodge (Seoul, Korea)
- Edelweiss Lodge & Resort (Garmisch–Partenkirchen, Germany)
- Shades of Green (Disney World, Florida)
Armed Forces Vacation Club (AFVC)
AFVC is a Space Available program offering DOD affiliated personnel affordable Condo vacations at over 3500 resorts around the world.
Space Available Travel
AMC travel Web - For more information on Space-A travel, visit the AMC travel Web
- Tricare Plans
- TRICARE SMART Site
- Allowable Charges
- Delta Dental Program
- Formulary Skin Care Research
- Mail Order Scripts Express Pharmacy
- Tricare Pharmacy Information
- My Tricare Claims North Region
- Tricare For Life Information
Senior Leadership Update Brief
This will be a great opportunity to receive an update on important current events impacting the Air and Army National Guard. Additionally, you will be receiving two "War Fighter Briefs" from Airmen and Soldiers that recently returned from overseas deployments.
Please RSVP by Clicking This Link
Note: Attendance is limited to the Retiree Council, retired O-6’s and above, retired E-9’s and above and retired WO5’s.
Hall of Honor Nominations Information
Each year the Wisconsin Army National Guard conducts our annual Hall of Honor Program. The Hall of Honor is the highest recognition the Adjutant General can bestow upon a former member of the Wisconsin Army National Guard.
More information, the Regulation, and nomination form are available by contacting the program coordinator, SSG Dana Cowell, via email at or phone 1-800-335-5147 extension 3011.
Please pass this along to someone you know that does not have internet or email. Click here for details to nominate a Wisconsin National Guard Soldier
2017 Retiree Appreciation Day (RAD)
Date: 29-30 September 2017
- 29th: 1500 – 1900 - Registration and Social
- 30th: 0600 – 1500 - Programs and Briefings
Location: Wisconsin Military Academy, Ft McCoy, WI *** Housing and Meals details will be available in the mailing.
Activities: Learn about your retirement
- Meet fellow retirees, and old friends
- Know more about your retirement benefits
- Drawings for door prizes
- And much more
Registration deadline: 14 September 2017
- Wisconsin National Guard Retirees will receive a postal mailing registration in August.
The purpose of the Wisconsin National Guard Retiree Council is to assist the Adjutant General in maintaining a strong National Guard by providing a channel for the interaction between active members, retired members and surviving spouses; to provide a focal point for organizations with concerns of the retired community and the AG's office; and to offer assistance to Army and Air National Guard units in development and maintaining rapport with their local communities.
The Retiree Council, within resources available and in accordance with the regulations and traditions of the Wisconsin National Guard, and the policies of the Adjutant General, assists in maintaining a strong Wisconsin National Guard by:
- Supporting legislation pertaining to the Wisconsin National Guard.
- Supporting Retiree Activities Offices (RAO's) to provide information to retirees.
- Encouraging the civilian sector to support enlistments, retention and training programs.
- Encouraging and promote membership in the Wisconsin National Guard Association (WINGA) and the Wisconsin National Guard Enlisted Association (WNGEA) at state and local levels.
- Providing the Adjutant General with counsel and insight regarding problems and needs of retirees and their families and work closely with the TAGO Retired Section to assist in resolving same.
- Sponsoring a bi-annual Retiree Appreciation Day (RAD) to educate and inform retirees on issues and benefits.
- Bringing to the attention of the Adjutant General other matters to enhance the status of the Wisconsin National Guard.
- Providing support to legislative actions relative to the National Guard promoted by WINGA and WNGEA as well as the Adjutant General.
The Retiree Council currently consists of 23 retired members of the Army and Air National Guard appointed annually by the Adjutant General to conduct quarterly meetings for the purpose of implementing plans to accomplish the above objectives. Additionally, currently there are 13 honorary members who have served with distinction in the past on the Retiree Council and who continue to be an asset serving in an advisory capacity.
Membership in the Retiree Council is as follows:
- President (Army or Air, retired officer or NCO)
- Past President
- An Army National Guard representative appointed from each congressional district (see Wisconsin Congressional District map).
- An Air National Guard representative appointed from the Milwaukee, Madison and Volk Field areas. Additionally, there are two at-large representatives.
- A representative from both the WINGA and the WNGEA who have been selected to represent their respective retired memberships (either Army or Air).
- One member appointed to represent each Retiree Activities Office.
- One member appointed to represent the Wisconsin Committee for Employer Support for the Guard and Reserve (Army or Air).
- The President shall have authority to appoint a Secretary, Treasurer, and a Public Affairs representative, to be appointed to the Council for the period of the President's term only. Such members can be ex officio members.
- Honorary members (non-voting) as appointed on orders based upon their level of interest and willingness to actively support the Wisconsin National Guard and Retiree Council activities.
The President is appointed by the Adjutant General for a term of two years and may be reappointed for two additional terms. At the end of the term(s) the President will remain on the Retiree Council as Past President until succeeded.
The Retiree Council meets quarterly, in January, April, July and October of each year. The Executive Committee, consisting of the President, Past President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Public Affairs representative, meets quarterly one month prior to the regularly scheduled Retiree Council meetings. Interested persons are invited to attend as a guest at any regularly scheduled Retiree Council meeting. A quorum consists of eight voting members present. Meetings are held at a location deemed appropriate by the President.
Anyone wishing to contact the Retiree Council can do so at the following address: Wisconsin National Guard Retiree Council c/o The Adjutant General Joint Forces Headquarters, Wisconsin 2400 Wright Street Madison, WI 53704-2572
The Retiree Council is most supportive of the Retiree Activities Offices (RAO's) that provide extensive resources to assist military retirees with access to information. You are directed to the RAO Website or at:
Madison: Joint Force Headquarters Wisconsin
2400 Wright Street, Room 160
(608) 242-3115, or (800) 335-5147 ext. 3115
Office hours: Tues & Thur from 0730-1130 hours.
Milwaukee: 128th ARW Headquarters
Building 512, Room 14
Office hours: Tues & Wed from 1000-1400 hours.